Monday 1 August 2016

BSR Cable Park


BSR Waterpark is primarily a water ski facility in Waco that was only known to the people in the state but in June 2015 they released the viral video below.

This video full of frat goers with perfectly chiselled bodies blew up and in checking I had it in my GE file discovered it was actually on our route as we were going to be driving right past Waco. My initial suggestion was to check out the location of the famous Waco siege but fortunately I had a group that were up for something a little more thrilling and when I got a "yes" from everyone this was added to the trip.

Although the place is advertised as being open quite late when we got there they only had an hour left before they closed the lazy river, which is the longest in the world, and the Royal Flush. A quick waiver signing session and we were off through the trees to the two attractions.


The Royal Flush is the main draw now and of the four slides we tried the 3 with ramps but before we got the courage to do this we sat and watched some of the local bros doing their crazy stunts some managing to land better than others. Not shown on the video but participants have to wear life jackets and the water is very green but feels great when you crash into it.

Tal, who isn't the most confident swimmer chose to give a go on the lazy river instead. My first attempt on the smallest ramp sent me crashing onto my back. Having gotten over being winded I swum back to the shore ready for slide number 2.

Number 2, the mid height ramp sent me around further but in trying to straighten my landing I over-rotated and I came crashing down on my side, which hurt even more than the first one. Great! I was really loving this slide...in a way I was. It hurt but I wasn't killing myself and I wanted to overcome this.

The third one took some psyching up to actually do, the view from the top is insane and a couple of bros had me do a fist bump as part of my pre-slide ritual. I can say that once I got on the slide that fear had gone and my focus was diverted onto nailing the landing and I'm pleased that you get so much time in the air that it's quite easy to position yourself to land safely.



So here's the footage of the highest, and the best jump.


Some of the bros had been psyching themselves up by playing beer pong, something I see a lot on the net but which I've never seen in real life. This is such an American thing :)

That's just one part of the Lazy River. It's around a mile long and Tal was gone for almost an hour.


Having had our fill, or is that thrill, of the park we watched some of the waterskiers do their thing. I know my limits and having done a lot of waterskiing in Cyprus I know it's not for me.

A sign of a good day.

BSR is great, and I think we've put this on the enthusiasts map as we came back to others asking us a lot of questions about the park. It's also uniquely different and thrilling but still safe...almost. I guess that's the power of a viral video and speaking to the staff they commented that the video had led to a massive surge in attendance and they were starting to get a lot more foreigners, like us, visiting also.


No comments:

Post a Comment